For the cake
3 cup carrot, finely grated
2 cups pecans, ground in a food processor
1/4 cup raisins, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
* Mixed spice is a blend of cinnamon, coriander seed, caraway, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. If you’re in the US you can use pumpkin pie spice.
** Make the date paste by grinding 1 cup soft dates and 1/2 cup orange juice in a food processor until smooth.
– Thoroughly mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
– Shape into individual cakes or press into one large cake, ready to be cut at the end.
– Place on a dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 115 degrees F for 8 – 12 hours. If you don’t have a dehydrator you can simply place the cake into the fridge to set.
For the frosting
1 1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons coconut nectar or honey
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
– Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
– Place in fridge to achieve a thicker consistency and spread on cake when you’re ready to serve.
– Garnish cake with nutmeg.